Welcome to the class page for Astrid.
Below you will find some useful information.
In Year 4 we expect the children to read at least 5 times a week. Reading records will be checked each Friday. Reading records must be in school daily.
When listening to your child read, the following are some fantastic questions to use to ensure they have understood the text.
Questions to ask before you read
- Can you look at the pictures and predict what you think will happen in this book?
- What makes you think that?
- What characters do you think might be in our story?
- Do you think there will be a problem in this story? Why or why not?
- Does the topic/story relate to you or your family? How?
Questions to ask during the reading
- What do you think will happen next?
- What can you tell me about the story so far?
- Can you predict how the story will end?
- Why do you think the character did _______?
- What would you have done if you were the character?
- How would you have felt if you were the character? (use different characters)
- As I read____________, it made me picture________ in my head. What pictures do you see in your head?
- As you read, what are you wondering about?
- Can you put what you’ve just read in your own words?
Questions to ask after reading
- Can you remember the title?
- In your opinion, was it a good title for this book? Why or why not?
- Were your predictions about the story correct?
- If there was a problem, did it get solved?
- What happened because of the problem?
- Why do you think the author wrote this book?
- What is the most important point the author is trying to make in his writing?
- What was your favorite part of the story?
- If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
- Can you retell the story in order?
- If you were __________, how would you have felt?
- What is the most interesting situation in the story?
- Is there a character in the story like you? How are you alike?
- Why did you like this book?
2. The following website / app has lots of free books to read (caution - as it is american, some books may be easier than the age it suggests). They are currently offering a free month's trial. www.getepic.com
3. On spotify, there are a range of audiobooks available - I am aware that the Lego audiobooks are particularly enjoyable.
Children should wear their PE kits to school on the days that we do PE. We will be doing PE on Mondays and Thursdays.
Each week (usually a Monday) new spellings will be given to the children. We will practice these in school throughout the week but it will help the children if they also practice at home. On a Monday the children will be tested on their spellings, the score can be found in the box in the bottom right corner of that week's spellings practice.
Children must not bring in pencil cases to school.
Due to COVID-19 the children must not bring items from home to school (including toys).
At the end of Year 4, all children will be assessed on their multiplication facts (up to 12 x 12).
While we will be practicing and learning these in school below is a way to access a similar type of assessment to practice both in school and at home.
The multiplications have been grouped in the order that they are learnt by the children.
To access these the children will need to:
Google 'Twinkl Go Login'. The top search result should be https://www.twinkl.co.uk/go/sign-in . This link takes you to a page that will give you access to the assessments.
To access the assessments you will need to enter a 6-digit code (this is made of two letters, followed by 4 numbers). This code will only let you access the specific multiplication facts you have chosen (e.g. the 3 times table).
When your child wants to practice a different set of facts, they will need to scroll down to 'Back to Twinkl Go' and click the link. On the next page click the outline of a person (top right corner) and click 'Log Out'. They will then be able to follow the above steps using a different code to access a different assessment.
The codes can be found below:
|2 multiplication table||KB5287|
|5 multiplication table||LZ7059|
|2 and 5 multiplication tables||GC9534|
|10 multiplication table||XZ6905|
2, 5 and 10 multiplication tables
|3 multiplication table||AT0157|
|2, 5, 10 and 3 multiplication tables||HQ9620|
|4 multiplication table||TU7923|
|2, 5, 10, 3 and 4 multiplication tables||UD1309|
|8 multiplication table||CX7591|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4 and 8 multiplication tables||BQ0591|
|6 multiplication table||VJ9175|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 8 and 6 multiplication tables||JF4253|
|7 multiplication table||CL8942|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 8, 6 and 7 multiplication tables||QS9125|
|9 multiplication table||OY8423|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 8, 6, 7 and 9 multiplication tables||OJ9548|
|11 multiplication table||UP6435|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 8, 6, 7, 9 and 11 multiplication tables||VC7169|
|12 multiplication table||BM1532|
|2, 5, 10, 3, 4, 8, 6, 7, 9, 11 and 12 multiplication tables||JB5906|
These codes should work but if you have any difficulties please do let me know.